Statistics101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do I need an actual data set

2 posters

Go down

do I need an actual data set Empty do I need an actual data set

Post  Kaarlo Tuomi Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 am

I am trying to use statistics to solve a problem and believe that my next step is bootstrap hypothesis testing, which I had not heard about until this morning. statistics101 looks like it might be the thing for this but I just want to clarify something.

I have a frequency distribution showing the birth months of 3196 males from one country who did a thing. call this F1.

I also have census data from their country showing the number of folk born each month, and I have the birth rate ratio showing the number of male to female births. this permits me to calculate a frequency distribution of male births in the year. call this F2.

I want to compare F1 with F2 to test a theory that doing this thing is influenced by birthdate. basically the theory says that folk who do this thing tend to be born in a particular part of the year.

that's where (I think) bootstrapping comes in. as I understand it, I want to take 1000 or so random samples from the census data and compute their statistics to determine whether or not my original sample (the 3196 folk who did a thing) could just be a random sample from the general population.

if that is correct, then do I have to recreate the actual data set for the 2 million folk born each year, or can I just enter the frequency distribution (167488 folk born in January, 153146 born in February, 165951 born in March, etc), and work from that?

many thanks,

Kaarlo Tuomi

Kaarlo Tuomi

Back to top Go down

do I need an actual data set Empty Re: do I need an actual data set

Post  Admin Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Drawing from the frequency distribution should be sufficient. But I'm not an expert Statistician, so don't take my opinion as gospel.

Admin
Admin

https://statistics101.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum