Statistics101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small fonts in help file

2 posters

Go down

Small fonts in help file Empty Small fonts in help file

Post  Jacobite Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:41 am

Hi,

Firstly, I want to give a big thanks to John for creating this great software, I've had a look at other stats programs but this looks to have a lower learning curve than 'R', and I'm sure it will meet all my needs.

So my problem is that some of the text in the help file is so small as to be almost unreadable. The problem is only in the right-most pane which has the code examples. I'm using Java 6 on Linux (Ubuntu), although not sure if that's relevant.

Thanks again, and hope you can help.

Jacobite

Back to top Go down

Small fonts in help file Empty Re: Small fonts in help file

Post  John Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Is the problem occurring in the help browser that comes up when you select the menu item Help>Help?

Give me the names of a couple of the commands whose help texts demonstrates the problem. I took a quick look through all the commands in the help browser on my Win7 system. It looks like on these commands (XYPLOT WEIBULL TAGS PARETO DIVIDE) I might have reduced the font size of some of the text to make it fit better. They're still readable on my system, but maybe they don't look as good on other OSs.

Let me know if these are the problem commands and if there are others. I'll try to improve them on the next revision.

John

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacobite Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 am

Yes, when I select help>help from the menu, but also when I use the help button from the wizards interface. I've taken some screenshots, it doesn't seem to be limited to any subset of commands, and neither is it restricted to the code examples as I had previously thought. As you can see in the first screenshot (middle pane), sometimes the font size decreases part way through a block of text.

Small fonts in help file Screenshotstatistics101

Small fonts in help file Screenshotstatistics101

In this shot you can see that the font size becomes smaller halfway through a sentence, beginning where I've circled in red.

Small fonts in help file Screenshotbqw

Jacobite

Back to top Go down

Post  John Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Jacobite,

The anomaly in the COMMENT doc page (near the word "apostrophe" in the middle pane) doesn't occur in my viewer.

In your second screenshot, the first two sections circled in red are indeed the wrong font size due to my formatting error. But the second two red-circled lines in that shot look OK in my help viewer and in my original source document.

In your third screenshot, where the font size becomes smaller halfway through a sentence, again, that doesn't happen in my source or viewer. I don't know why that happens. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to hear them.

In any case, I will go through my documentation and improve the formatting where I can.

Thanks for your input.

John

John

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacobite Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 am

Thanks for the feedback John. Seems odd that there are differences, in your opinion would this be a java or OS issue? Anyway, it's not a big deal, if I'm having problems reading the text I just copy and paste into an editor.

Jacobite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down